Whether it is the care of vulnerable adults needing assistance in entering our church doors, or working with the Youth Group on an event, it is our responsibility as a Parish Family to take care of each other, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. It is also our duty to create a safe, welcoming, and engaging environment, so that individuals can come to Saint John to heal, reflect, socialize, and minister without fear or suspicion.
While performing Mass for the victims of sexual abuse in 2014, Pope Francis said:
There is no place in the Church’s ministry for those who commit these abuses, and I commit myself not to tolerate harm done to a minor by any individual, whether a cleric or not. All bishops must carry out their pastoral ministry with the utmost care in order to help foster the protection of minors, and they will be held accountable.
In order to accomplish what our Holy Father is asking of all of us, we must all work together to create this open, collaborative, and safe environment. Below are the resources available to our Parish Family to ensure our Safe Environment:
- Saint John Safe Environment Policy for Volunteers
- Diocese of Venice Screening Policy for Lay Employees, Volunteers, and Religious Brothers and Sisters
- Policy and Procedural Guidelines for Diocese of Venice in Florida relating to the Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Online Background Check System (needed for background check and fingerprint process, once on this page the username is: diov and the password is: Password1)
- Diocese of Venice Safe Environment Program
Safe Environment Training
The Diocese of Venice has recently implemented an online version of the Safe Environment Training Program, allowing new staff and volunteers to take the course directly after undergoing the Background Check. Please visit Virtus Online to register and take the course.
An Allegation of Sexual Abuse of a Minor by Anyone Should be Reported Immediately to:
Florida Department of Children and Families Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-96abuse (1-800-962-2873) or visit https://reportabuse.dcf.state.fl.us
If the alleged abuser is a diocesan employee or volunteer, including clergy, also notify Victim Assistance Coordinator Susan Benton at 941-416-6114.